It's Ocotber 17th and I haven't posted since August 2nd. How will ever fill in the lost days?
I guess I'll start at the beginning and try to recap the events and feelings while they're still pretty fresh in my mind. We left on the 2nd of August, it was 110 degrees in Dallas. I worked that day so we rode West until we got tired and it was dark. I think it was over 500 miles before we started to find a hotel. I was happy thinking about the last few nights before leaving would be in comfy hotels before the sleeping outside kicked in, but not on this night. All the hotels were sold out in West Texas - and this was a Tuesday night! Seems all the oil field workers snag up all the rooms during the week. Plus there was some championship softball tournament or something somewhere. So here we were - having to sleep outside beside our bikes, early. We rode around looking for a place - couldn't find one that felt safe, couldn't find a campground either. We finally went to a State Park - it was after midnight, and we found Sandhills State Park, a pretty strange, weird and almost creepy place. We rode our bikes out far into the white sand dunes on narrow roads until we saw some picnic tables in a cul-de-sac area. We never saw a soul. We each got out our mosquito nets, rolled ourselves up in them and each grabbed a sandy buggy metal picnic table to sleep on. Weird. All I could think was, this is what we're in for for the next few weeks, better get used to it. We slept a little, tossed and turned alot and got cool that night in the desert.
Next morning we packed up and rode into Mesa Arizona - the excitement of the event we were about to embark on was really getting intense now.
No comments:
Post a Comment